Friday, February 28, 2014

New Love

I have recently discovered a new love: books on CD!  If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen a few posts of mine that are book covers.  That’s because a few weeks ago, I realized that books on CD are possibly the best thing since sliced bread (or Betty White).  Having joined a book club here in Des Moines and having not-so-much time, I decided to try listening to Bossypants by Tina Fey (the book selected for book club), instead of reading it. 

At my job, I am allowed to listen to music and DVDs while I work, so I figured, why not try a book on CD since I know I won’t actually read it in the evenings/on weekends?   Books on CD have become my new best friend.  Not only do I listen at work now, but I also download audiobooks to my phone from iTunes to listen to while I run.  I have realized listening to books is way better for me than listening to music (probably because I’m thinking about the story, versus how tired I’m getting).

I thought I’d share a selection of a few of the books that I’ve listened to (and I am currently listening to), along with a little review.

----------------------------------------------------------------------


Bossypants by Tina Fey
Review: Two thumbs up!  (Three, if I had a third thumb.) This is a very funny, light read (listen). Highly recommended






Pirates! by Celia Rees
Review: I should have picked a different book. It was pretty boring. (Sorry Miss Rees!)





Sweethearts by Sara Zarr
Review: This came from the teen section - I wouldn't necessarily consider it a teen appropriate book, however, I did think it was really good and would recommend it to others.






Is Everybody Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
Review: The star of "The Mindy Project" is a very funny individual.  I'm halfway through this book on CD and, already, I would recommend it (and have shared the first of four CDs with a friend at work)






How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff
Review: So far so good, but hoping it gets even better. (I'm about 1/2 way through). This is the book I've been listening to when I run.  So, apparently, I need to run more!
This book will also soon be a movie.

Number of Stars: TBA

PLEASE COMMENT with books you suggest, as I'm always looking for my next title! :)
ps: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green is next on my list.


No comments:

Post a Comment